- Ocata has developed methods to culture and deliver retinal progenitor cells.
- Early, unpublished animal data suggest retinal progenitors can reverse blindness caused by degenerative diseases.
- If shown effective, the retinal cells have a huge number of potential applications.
- Ocata has received funding for retinal progenitor development in the orphan disease retinitis pigmentosa.
- Retinitis pigmentosa has no approved, effective therapy, and represents a potential market over $1 billion per year.
Ocata Therapeutics has stated in no uncertain terms that its embryonic stem cell -derived retinal pigmented epithelium (RPE) is its major program, and it has the potential to address an array of macular disorders, including age-related macular degeneration, Stargardt’s disease, macular edema, and myopic macular degeneration.
for more info: