Using a simple test called the Amsler Grid, anyone can quickly and easily check whether they have a macular problem.
Cover each eye, focus on the centre dot and check whether the lines look wavy, blurred or distorted.
MAIN SYMPTOMS OF AGE-RELATED MACULAR DEGENERATION (AMD):
• Distortion, where straight lines may appear wavy or bent;
• Difficulty in reading or any other activity that requires fine vision;
• Problems with distinguishing faces;
• Dark patches or empty spaces in the centre of your vision;
• A need for increased illumination, sensitivity to glare, decreased night vision and poor colour sensitivity.
Symptoms should not be dismissed; the earlier treatment is sought the greater the likelihood of a better outcome.